And at Cedar Cross Cooperative Preschool, you may have also noticed that the play dough always smells so yummy you want to go home and start baking - at least I did last week after I noticed the play dough looked - and smelled - like brownie batter (see cocoa powder addition below).
I just had to have the recipe and Teacher Geralynn was kind enough to send it to me to share with you:
Cedar Cross Coop Preschool play dough
(Preschool recipe is triple this recipe)
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Salt
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
- 2 Cups boiling water
- Measure and combine first four ingredients in a large bowl: stir to mix well
- Quickly pour boiling water into dry ingredients and stir. Turn out onto table surface and knead as soon as can be handled. Store in an air-tight container for up to three months.
To change color:
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the water before pouring into dry ingredients.
- Add a small amount of liquid water color paint to the water.
- Add a small amount of powdered tempura to the dry ingredients before adding water.
- Add glitter to the dry ingredients before adding water.
- Add a couple packets of Kool-aid non-sugared drink mix to the dry ingredients before adding water.
- Add extracts from the spice section of the grocery store, or potpourri oils from a craft store.
- Add dry spices such as cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin pie spice to the dry ingredients.
- Replace ½ cup flour with dry cocoa powder.